This Week's Collection
While I'm not a hoarder, I am a collector of sorts: Coffee mugs, Hot Rod magazines, Books (presidential biography), and old Life Magazines (I like the car advertisements, they are works of art).
Perhaps my penchant to gather drives my urge to share a few of the best of what I have collected this week. Why not grab a cup of coffee (or tea), sit back and enjoy.
- Servant Leadership:The Servant Leaders Disappearing Act: Would you give up your dream for a greater cause? That was Lincoln's dilemma in 1855. Lincoln's actions are a picture of servant leadership.
- Reading: How To Read A Book, a minute and a half conversation between Mortimer Adler and Charles Van Doren. Excellent. Watch it by clicking here. Thanks to www.churchleaders.com for sending it my way. Adler's How To Read A Book is a classic.
- Faith@Work: Pat McKay, former CFO at Office Depot and Restoration Hardware, shares how Jesus is helping her live out her faith at work. Watch it by clicking here.
- He said it: "It is not until now that I have found the place which, above all others, I admire the most, love the best." Henry Seward referring to America in 1859. Seward was the front-runner for President in the 1860 election that Lincoln would win. Seward had just returned from a six-month tour of Europe that included visiting Paris, Lyons, Marseilles, Rome, Naples, Alexandria, Cairo, Jerusalem, Vienna, Venice, Milan, Hague, Amsterdam, and the United Kingdom.
- The Cutting Room Floor: This new initiative provides me with an opportunity to share a little nugget I learned in my sermon preparation that did not make it into Sunday's message. Click here to learn a little more about "God the Father Almighty."
- The Power of Monotony: I gave a talk to our Leadership Community at Spanish River after reflecting on what I learned while "walking to Memphis" last year. Click here to read.
- The Inventory: If you have a few extra coins, you may want to peruse RK Motors inventory. It is pretty impressive.
- I'm reading: Team of Rivals(second time), Seward: Lincoln's Indispensable Man, The Wisdom of Teams, Alexander Hamilton, The Art of Pastoring, The Fifth Witness, Simplify(just starting).
- A resource worth having: Daniel Pink's newsletter. Get it by going here.
- "Black Voices" from my friend, Dr. Mark Eckel.
- Leading With Questions: Bob Tiede graciously allowed me to guest post on his site with my article: 10 Assessment Questions Every Leader Must Ask.
- Master of Arts In Ministry in Church Planting: I'll finish with a picture of the MAM cohort (minus two students). These guys were at Spanish River this week learning from Andrew Evans of the UK (History, Mission & Models of Church Planting) and Ronaldo Lidorio from Brazil (Exegeting Culture for Church Planting). What a stellar group of men. From the left: Professor Lidorio, Ryan (thanks for the picture), Jon, Derek, Josh, Miguel, David, Danny, Jake, Michael, Charlie. Missing: Josh and David R. I am so grateful to be serving a church with a vision to equip men who will plant churches that plant churches.